Do I Have a Substance Abuse Problem?
Admitting that you’re having trouble with addiction is not easy. However, admitting there is a problem and accepting that you need help are the first steps towards recovery, happiness, and freedom from addiction. If you think you or someone you love is struggling with a substance abuse problem, it can be empowering to educate yourself on the signs. There are many signs of addiction and these are just five common symptoms. Please note that symptoms will vary to some degree depending on the substance and the person.
- Your life seems to revolve around your drug or alcohol use and you’ve lost control over it. Perhaps you find yourself you’re making plans around your habitual substance use, cancelling plans, or feel unable to live life with the freedom that you once did. Your actions are dictated by the substance. For instance, you may find yourself spending a lot of time thinking about using drugs or drinking.
- You have built up a tolerance to drugs and/or alcohol. This means that you need more of the substance in order to receive the same effect. This is an ongoing cycle.
- You’re no longer engaging in things you once enjoyed. Maybe there’s a feeling of “I just don’t care” surrounding formerly exciting activities like socializing, sports, yoga, hiking, etcetera. You’re perhaps more interested in the substance than the activities you once loved.
- You experience withdrawal symptoms without the substance. This can show up in the physical body as nausea, shaking, sweating, restlessness, anxiety, depresion, and more.
- Lastly, you continue to use the substance even though many of the above things are happening. You continue to engage in using the substance even when it’s hurting you or impacting your life in negative ways.
If you nodded your head at a few, all, or even one of the above, it might be time to consider talking to someone. Lists are helpful. However, humans are more dynamic than numbered lists of symptoms and signs. Listen to yourself and if you feel like there’s a problem, even if, say, you shook your head at most of all of the above signs, then listen.
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, there is a way out. At The Beach House, we elevate the standard of comprehensive addiction treatment. Located on the sand in Malibu, California, we provide expert clinical care and a holistic approach to the recovery process. We ensure Best-in-Class treatment tailored to the needs of each client. Start your recovery journey today. You deserve happiness. Call or text: 310-862-6845.